What Tax contributes to Cardinal Health
Tax is responsible for the design, implementation and defense of tax strategies and positions. Records and reports tax expense in accordance with GAAP and SEC reporting requirements. Accountable for the tax due diligence of corporate transactions and preparation of tax compliance returns and reports.
- Demonstrates knowledge in broad area of tax principles, planning strategies and concepts.
- Develops and implements tax controversy strategies to address impact on all open years and impact on planned transactions.
- Analyzes transactions for areas of tax risk and opportunities.
- Demonstrates tax accounting knowledge of GAAP and SEC tax recording and reporting requirements.
- Performs detailed tax research and analysis.
- Develops approaches to detect, resolve and properly report issues and transactions on tax returns.
- Partners with the business to improve tax efficiency of business planning and operations as well as tax compliance and reporting.
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Applies working knowledge in the application of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to perform varied tasks
- Works on projects of moderate scope and complexity
- Identifies possbile solutions to a variety of technical problems and takes actions to resolve
- Applies judgment within defined parameters
- Receives general guidance may receive more detailed instruction on new projects
- Work reviewed for sound reasoning and accuracy
This role is responsible for assisting with the defense of audits for indirect taxes related to Cardinal Health business operations that occur within the United States (Domestic). Domestic indirect taxes include state and local sales and use tax, gross receipts tax, Commercial Activity Tax, personal property tax, business licenses, and unclaimed property. This role is responsible for assisting with customer dispute resolutions related to Domestic indirect taxes and helping to ensure that amounts of Domestic indirect taxes refunded and/or credited to customers as part of the resolution process are timely recouped by Cardinal Health. The customer dispute resolution process may require this role to research whether Cardinal Health should assign its vendor rights to customers, to coordinate and negotiate refunds/credits during the audit process, to reissue invoices to customers/vendors, to work with jurisdictions and/or vendors, to collaborate with Cardinal Health Collections. Additionally, this role will be responsible for the oversight and management of the third party outsource provider who will review and validate customer exemption certificates. Lastly, this role will be responsible for collaborating and delegating assignments to student interns as necessary, as well as interacting with external consultants.
Accountabilities in this role
- Provide support for the audit defense process for Domestic indirect tax audits, including:
- Gathering data from Cardinal Health systems and other sources
- Reconciling data from Cardinal Health sources and positions taken on returns
- Preparing spreadsheets related to data and data reconciliations
- Identifying technical issues within audits
- Researching technical issues under relevant state tax law
- Quantifying the impact of technical issues to help determine appropriate resolution of audits
- Implement changes in Cardinal Health systems for taxability issues resolved in audits
- Develop contacts with state and local agencies related to Domestic indirect tax audits
- Discuss with such contacts technical issues and other matters related to audits
- Monitor and assist with research related to taxability issues and law changes for Domestic indirect taxes
- Address timely customer disputes related to Domestic indirect taxes and ensure Cardinal Health’s timely recoupment of taxes refunded/credited to customers
- Collaborate with Cardinal Health Collections in the resolution of customer disputes
- Assist in special tax projects and process improvement projects, as requested
- Manage third party outsource provider, who will review and validate customer exemption certificates, and provide support on any necessary tasks
- Recommend and assist with implementation of process improvements
- Bachelors degree in business related field, or equivalent work experience
- 1+ years experience in related field
- Ability to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Developing skills related to research, writing and verbal communication skills
- Good knowledge of indirect taxes and general accounting concepts
- Ability to work well under pressure, organize and prioritize work
- Experience with Excel required
- Experience with Vertex, RIA Checkpoint, CoStar, SAP systems preferred
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.